USAF, ASU win team titles at 2015 USA Gymnastics Men’s Collegiate National Championships
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., March 20, 2015 – Host U.S. Air Force Academy notched its sixth consecutive Varsity Division team title at the USA Gymnastics Men’s Collegiate National Championships at the Academy’s Cadet Field House located north of Colorado Springs, Colo. Arizona State University claimed its ninth straight and 17th overall Collegiate Club Division team crown. All-around honors went to the U.S. Naval Academy’s Jonathan Tang of Malvern, Pa., for the Varsity Division and Southern California United’s Douglass Johnson of Los Angeles for the Collegiate Club Division. The championships wrap up on Saturday, March 21, with individual event finals at 2 p.m. MT.
The Air Force easily claimed the Varsity team title with a 432.850 total. Navy edged out the College of William and Mary, 412.450 to 410.100. Springfield College tallied a 402.400.
In the Varsity all-around, Tang won the title with an 83.750, with William and Mary’s Aria Sabbagh of Kansas City, Mo., taking second at 81.350. Rounding out the top three was Springfield’s Jon Zima of Buffalo, N.Y., at 80.700. Johnson’s 82.050 gave him top honors in the Collegiate Club Division. Washington’s Justin Rowen of Rocklin, Calif., notched an 81.000 for second, and ASU’s Thomas Hanson of Mesa, Ariz., claimed third at 80.700.
At the men’s USA Gymnastics Collegiate Championships, the team competition is divided into two categories, varsity and collegiate. The varsity competition is for Division I, II or III, four-year institutions with gymnastics as a varsity sport that provide two or less full scholarships as well as the military academies, and the collegiate team category is for two-year or four-year degree-granting schools with gymnastics as a club sport.
2015 USA Gymnastics Men’s National Collegiate Championships
U.S. Air Force Academy
Colorado Springs, Colo.
March 20, 2015
Team and All-around Finals
Team final results
1. U.S. Air Force Academy, 432.850
2. U.S. Naval Academy; 412.450
3. College of William and Mary, 410.100
4. Springfield College, 402.400
Collegiate Club Division
1. Arizona State University, 404.800
2. Temple University, 401.900
3. University of Washington, 400.350
4. Southern California United, 375.450
All-around final results
1. Jonathan Tang, Malvern, Pa./U.S. Naval Academy, 83.750
2. Aria Sabbagh, Kansas City, Mo./College of William & Mary, 81.350
3. Jon Zirna, Buffalo, N.Y./Springfield College, 80.700
Collegiate Club Division
1. Douglass Johnson, Los Angeles, Calif./Southern California United, 82.050
2. Justin Rowen, Rocklin, Calif./University of Washington, 81.000
3. Thomas Hanson, Mesa, Ariz./Arizona State University, 80.700